java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, September 13, 2010

we have a new church roof

I am sitting listening to the rain on the roof of my church. It is great.

We just had a new roof put on the church. The old one was leaking and had a lot of problems. There were even little trees growing in it from where the tree hangs over. We had no money to replace it and were wondering what to do.

Then we had a pretty bad hail storm. We heard it begin to hit the ground and thought at first it was fireworks. But it was hail, almost lemon sized hail. It was bad enough to total our whole neighborhood. Since we live only three blocks from the church, that was good.

The adjuster came out, looked at it and considered it totaled. That meant we got a new roof.

In the office there was a large stock pot to catch the water. In the sanctuary there were several little pots to catch the water. When it rained, it filled me with dread.
Since I usually love the rain and the sound of rain on a church roof, that was a shame.

Rain makes a certain sound on a church roof because most church roofs have no ceiling between the room and the roof. It is usually just a roof, with some boards underneath. So the sound of the rain is generally pretty strong. And I love it.

But when you know it is going to leak everywhere and stain the carpet, ruin stuff, it is no fun. The other day after a bad rainstorm I came in and one of the fluorescent light fixtures (that I hate anyway) was full of water. Without thinking I turned it on, but fortunately, no explosions. It was that way all the time. You never knew what was going to be wrong with the church after a rain storm.

Not now. We have a new roof. And it makes me happy.
 

I picked it out of a catalog, the tan roof. Looks sharp. It is funny how a bad hail storm can be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.