java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, September 16, 2010

one of my favorite movies

One of my favorite movies is Cherry 2000. It is a rather silly vaguely 1987 sci-fi movie on one level, but one I enjoy almost every time I watch it. It could be rather graphic but it isn’t, so that is one reason I like it.

A man has a robot girlfriend who is perfect in every way including being programmed with the very things that please him most. This includes all the way from his favorite foods to other stuff.

One day he gets carried away kissing her and they fall amid the suds from the sink and she shorts out. He goes down to he repair shop but they don’t have any more of those classic Cherry 2000 models. They have just about every other kind – cheerleader, professional woman, etc – but no Cherry 2000. To get one of those, he would have to go into the Zone, a rather vague apocalyptic place that came out of the last big war.

He decides to try real women again, but the singles bar his friends take him to is a nightmare complete with lawyers drawing up contracts between men and women specifying what will and won’t take place during their date. He hates it and leaves.

He decides to go into the Zone and through a bunch of adventures meets a woman who is a Tracker who guides people. He falls in love with her and ends up abandoning his “perfect woman” complete with programming CD to leave with the girl.

It is a story of love, but it is also a story of finding what is real in your life. He realized that the “perfect” is not always good enough. The “real” has faults, yes, but it is, indeed real.

That is one reason you stay with your wife and she with you as you get older. Yes, there are millions of younger women who look better, but she is real and you love her. After the thrill of finding the “perfect woman” of over, you stay for the “real woman,” the one you love.

A neat movie all around. My wife will even watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.