java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, September 10, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice?  (Proverbs 8:1)

Balance in our world is gone. A man in Florida does something and the fate of the world hinges on it. People in other countries riot and even the pope asks him to stop.

Where is wisdom? We have become so goofy that everything goes crazy.

A video is shown of a woman putting a cat in a trash can somewhere in England and people all over the world are up in arms over animal abuse.

A teenaged girl somewhere throws puppies in a river and people all over the world are calling for her arrest.

It started a few years ago when two grapes were found in a store that had arsenic and the grape harvest was almost ruined because of fear. Then there was the bottle of Tylenol that had been tampered with and the Tylenol company took a major hit because of it.

One little thing happens and everybody knows it. It is a combination of a 24 hour news cycle desperate for more news and the internet where a grainy Youtube video makes it around the world in less than 24 hours.

I don’t know that we were any wiser in the old days, but at least we didn’t have news blaring at us all the time.

I have always said that people are no different today, just more widely covered. A guy disagreed with me and said that when he was younger, no one ever did the things people do today. And I agreed. But when he was younger, there were more restrictions on what could be done.

I remember discussing homosexuality in the late 1960’s with someone. No one was exactly sure how it went about. Now we have it thrust in our faces constantly.

When I was young, strangers on the street could reprimand you for your actions and you took it. And all adults were authority figures. Try reprimanding a child today.

A few months ago, a man in a store slapped a child who was misbehaving and went to jail for it. The child knows he will not be disciplined and people know they cannot help maintain the social order any longer. So we have an out of control kid with helpless adults.

I asked the man if he were a good child. He laughed and said no, he tried to get away with whatever he could. I asked, what if there was no one to tell you that what you were doing was wrong? Would you have been a good kid? He replied, no, I guess not.

That is our world today. A world that seems to be devoid of wisdom. We have leaders that show no wisdom, we have parents that show no wisdom, we have teachers that show no wisdom. Wisdom calls out but no one answers.

I hope our culture is not doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.