java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, September 12, 2010

i don't miss tv

About a month ago, we decided to get rid of our cable TV. We kept the cable modem because it is the best way to get internet here, but the TV we decided we didn’t need.

For one thing, there was nothing on we wanted to watch. The cable company took Fox Movie Channel off the main band and put it on a pay band, and Turner Classic Movies had nothing the whole month of September we wanted to see. We watched a little History Channel, some HGTV, nothing much else.

So why pay for it? Why pay for stuff you don’t want?

It took almost a month for it to be cut off. They told us that they were behind on the cut-offs so it would be a while.

We continued to watch some stuff, but, since we had made the decision, we just didn’t really watch much.

We hadn’t had cable for the six month period before moving to Lincoln and decided it was worthless. Why have something and pay dearly for it if it is worthless?

One day I turned it on to watch Fox News and there was nothing but static. I realized it was off and turned the TV back off. There was a curious feeling of loss that lasted for a while, but not long.

I found out that it didn’t matter if we had TV or not.

At night, I have a movie going while I do stuff. I may watch a piece over a couple of nights or all at once. But I have noticed that I really don’t care. We have a bunch of DVD’s and some recorded VCR tapes. I’m kind of working through those, but a lot of those are boring.

There comes a time when you realize that TV is not that important. If I have a need for a Star Trek fix or several other things, I can watch them on computer. Other movies I can get from Red Box for $1 or the library for free. And there is always the $5 box at WalMart.

The TV doesn’t matter. I like it like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.