java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, September 4, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty. (Zechariah 4:6)

When my son was little and I asked him to help me with something, he would do it.
When we were finished, we would go and show it to Ella. Sam would say, I did that. I helped.

Now what he had actually done was minimal and mostly he got in the way. But in his mind he had toiled and labored and with just a little help from me, had crafted a great thing.

It was really my strength and my ability and my tools which I used, and a little bit of help from him.

Without that help, he would have done nothing except maybe break something. With my help, he was a skilled craftsman.

Of course, inasmuch as I am one, which I am not. But still, together we did something.

We look to do great things in our lives. Every pastor in the world wants to build a great church, one that is known for its godliness and holiness.

But without the help of God, we will have nothing. The prophet Zechariah says that it is the Spirit of God that does anything that is lasting. What will you do if it is left up to you?

Nothing.

Oh, you might get a good sized church off charisma alone if you have it, you can work and get people coming and do some stuff. But the minute you let your guard down, and the minute you have difficulties, it all comes down.

That is because it is not built on God. It is built on you. And you are flawed.

In Matthew 16:18, Jesus said that he would build the church on a Rock. That rock wasn’t Peter because he was all too flawed. It wasn’t on the confession that Jesus was Lord, because there may come a day when no one names it any longer. It wasn’t on a doctrine or a good idea of anything else.

It was on the fact that Jesus is Lord, the Son of God. That will never change.

That fact brings Spirit and power. The might that builds the kingdom is the might of the Lord.

The church built on that will never fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.