java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

badly dressed ugly people

I was in the Dollar Tree this afternoon buying stuff for our Fiesta Sunday. I kind of wanted the building to look a little festive so I got a banner and door cover, along with a table decoration and some plates and napkins.

The woman checking us out who had to have been one of the worst examples of a lack of self-image or pride I have ever seen.

She was probably close to my age (old enough) and I do not think she was wearing any underwear. She had on a low cut top and was rather large and moved about under the top a lot. Included in all this was the fact that the top was rather low cut.

It was distasteful in anybody’s eyes.

As I walked into WalMart – which is never a bastion of good fashion or grooming (check out http://www.peopleofwalmart.com sometime for a real interesting? trip) – there was a woman who was very large and who was wearing short shorts. Her legs were ugly and rather misshapen from the weight, and her shorts had ridden up between her legs.

When we sit at the mall looking at people waiting for the new Scooter’s Coffeehouse to open, we see a lot of people dressed badly. Why? Maybe they were good-looking when they were young and do not realize that 30 years have passed.
Maybe they don’t care. Their self-image is so low or non-existent that it is too much trouble to dress nicely.

I tend to think it is a combination of the two with a strong emphasis on the don’t-care.

The large woman in the shorts probably said to herself, oh, everybody dresses this way. No one notices any more. Nobody cares. The woman in Dollar Tree probably thinks, well you know, the fashion is low cut with no underwear. That man looking at me is probably attracted to me and can’t say so because his wife is right there.

She was, and she was also looking.

It is kind of like a severe wreck and it is hard to keep your eyes off the bodies. It is not lust or desire, it is sadness at our culture that has become so ugly.

And it seems that it is getting worse. Our generation with its everything goes philosophy has birthed an ugly bunch of people who not only do not care but do not care that they do not care (as the turtle in Neverending Story said).

I suppose that public nudity if it comes will be truly ghastly, not titillating. I have read that nude beaches in Europe are full of old people, wrinkled to death, not the young beautiful people you would think of.

Sure, there would be some bodacious babes deciding to show off. But I think the majority of nudists would be the women who just didn’t care enough about themselves to get dressed.

What a sad day that will be. At least now there is a little between us and horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.