java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, September 5, 2010

diffferent kinds of gifts

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.  (1 Corinthians 12:4)

I have told my wife that the infinite diversity of women is fascinating. In fact the infinite diversity of people in general is something I love. That’s one reason I like sitting at the mall watching people.

It is almost a sociological parade. Every different variety you can imagine. It amazes me that a man can settle on one woman.

Yet I did and am happy. Out of all the world’s women I landed on one pretty early in life. And I have liked it.

But in some ways it is the same in church. You go into the average church and there are all kinds of people. Even in small churches, that is the case. You find everybody of every talent and ability.

The reason for that is that God made us to go together. Just like he made men and women to go together, he made all of the members of the church to go together. They complement each other.

God made each church with the right amount of people to make it grow. Even the smallest church has enough to make it grow.

The problem is most churches either don’t realize it or refuses to realize it. It is easier to deny it than it is to work. It is easier to wish of more people and wish that others would come in.

It is like the guy who says he cannot find a decent girl. My thought: are you a moron? I see nothing but great looking girls everywhere I look and you can’t get one?

I look at a church and I see a lot of great talented people sitting around, yet the church is not growing. They wonder why and you think, it is because you are not doing anything.

The Lord blessed each church with a multitude of talents. They all work differently, but the same God works all of them in all men. And it is all, as he says, is given for the common good.
He didn’t give those people accounting skills, musical talent, leadership ability, teacher training – just to help them make money. He gave those talents to them to cause them to help the church grow.

Just as he gave me my wife to fill my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.