java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, October 9, 2010

poor reflections

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:12)

Poor reflections. That is really all we are. No matter how great the mirror, no matter how fine the silvered backing or how good the glass, we are still all poor reflections.

I was in a rather expensive hotel a few years ago which had an enormous mirror at the end of the foyer section in front of the ballrooms. It could be seen for a long ways down the hall from the check-in area clear to the other side of the ballroom foyer.

While I was in the ballroom foyer, I enjoyed it. It was a beautiful frame and was quite large.

But when I was down the hall and saw my reflection in it, I realized that it was not a good mirror at all. Until you got right up to it, the reflection was distorted. You had to be right in front of it to get even a half-way good reflection. It was a bad quality glass.

It didn’t matter that the thing probably cost over a thousand dollars. It wasn’t a good mirror. I have had better reflections out of a five dollar mirror from WalMart.

It doesn’t matter how powerful we are or how high we are in the church structure. It doesn’t matter how much we give or anything else that those in the world consider great.

The mirror reflects according to the quality of glass. If the glass is good, no matter how cheap or expensive the mirror is, the reflection will be good. If the glass is bad, again, no matter the cost, it will be bad.

If we are good, we will reflect good. If not, no matter how often we go to church or teach or preach or give, we will not reflect good.

But even if we are the best glass around, we still are poor reflections. We are, after all, bad translations of his grace. All sin and fall short of the glory. If we say we have no sin, we lie.

So if we can reflect his grace in our lives through imperfect glass, we are doing good. His grace can overcome the glass quality and his love will show through.

How’s your glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.