java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, October 18, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters;
and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
(Isaiah 55:1-2)

We work so hard for stuff that will be gone in a couple of years. $1000 a month or more for a house that is falling down around us. $300 a month for a car that is depreciating with ever mile. $300 for a suit that begins to wear out the minute we put it on. $75 for dinner that is going to end up as waste. A pile of money for electronics that are obsolete the moment you unpack them, for movies that you may or may not enjoy, for toys for the kids that they will outgrow in just a few months – and on and on.

Life is really depressing if you look at it this way. you work like a dog to get money to spend on stuff that will be broken in just a short time. And the money is gone. And soon, the stuff is gone.

Look back over your life. What is it that you spent a lot of money on that is really worth it? In my life, maybe the 12 string guitar. All the cars I have bought are gone and I am driving a minivan that I paid $100 for. Ella’s keyboard. I seriously cannot think if a single thing that I paid a lot of money for that I even still have.

We recently have tried to get rid of a lot of stuff. We wanted to simplify our lives. I’m not sure it worked. Things kind of find their way to our house whether we really need them or not.

But the point is, the stuff that is really worth it is either unavailable at any price or worth everything you have. You cannot buy the things of God at any price. There is not enough money in the world to get them. On the other hand, the things of God have to be gotten with the entirety of your life. They are free, yet they cost everything.

That is the thing about grace. Bonhoeffer called it cheap grace. He said grace is free, it cannot be purchased with any amount of money. However, it is not cheap. It requires your whole life.

The wine and milk is without cost. The bread is free. All we do is give our lives to him. As Jesus said, where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.