java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, October 3, 2010

create in me a pure heart

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. (Psalm 61:10)

There can be such a failure feeling in your life. you want to do what is right but you cannot seem to do it. All the things you set out to do, the good and holy things, seem to fall by the wayside the first time temptation comes.

This psalm was written by King David just after he had committed adultery with Bathsheba and the child she became pregnant with died.

He called out to God to save him from himself. Stop the desire to do wrong and the inclination to sin. Just stop it. Change him. Make his heart pure. Make the spirit within him good and holy. Make that spirit steadfast and able to overcome failure and sin.

For a clean heart, a pure heart, a heart that yearns to God. For that I would do anything, allow any change God wanted to make. For that I would die.

Of course, in Jesus I die. In him I am dead to sin, but the inclination to sin is still there and rages like a beast, snarling and spitting, straining to come out.

Make my heart pure. Calm the raging beast. Change me. Make me like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.