java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, October 3, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. (Psalm 61:10)

There is a yearning towards the heart of God that is in every human, whether they realize it or not. it is the pull toward our Creator that all have built instinctively into their DNA, into their minds and hearts.

We feel it in every action. We may translate it differently and try to fill it with something else, to connect with some other thing, but it is there and it is strong.

It may be sports and our desire to connect with a team, or our family or our work or hobby or sex or whatever. But we are made to push towards something.

The something that we are made to push towards is God. Someone once said that we have a God-shaped vacuum in our hearts that nothing but God will fill. Only he can satisfy that deepest need.

We want to be with him. And we want to have the kind of heart that he wants us to have. That is how we were made, to want to be with him and to be like him.

But only he can make that heart. Only he can draw us and change us. Only he can create or renew that steadfast spirit that is needed to be with him

He can do it, though. If we give him our hearts, he will change them. If we give him our spirits, he will change them. He will change us. He and he alone will make us useful and holy.

Oh, that he would create that spirit in me and make me more like him. Change me, God. Make me yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.