java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, October 21, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.  (Psalm 40:8).

For the will of God to truly work, it has to be in your heart. It has to be more than just something you do. Even if the something you do is special and important to you, if it is not in your heart, it is easy to quit doing it.

It may be a chore you do for a neighbor, or a committee you joined. Maybe it is an office you hold. These things are important to you and you always make time to do them.

But the will of God is different. It is not something important in your life, it is your life. If it is in your heart, you will not only do it, but you will live it and you will love it. It becomes part of you, the basis of your spiritual DNA, guiding you and directing every part of your life.

Otherwise, it is just rote memorization and stuff that you do. When it just becomes stuff you do, it ceases to be vital.

Jesus said that in order for us to be truly with him, we had to take him into us like we take in food and drink (John 6:53-56). We have to be one with him. If we aren’t, it really doesn’t make any difference.

He said at one point that calling him Lord wouldn’t matter, if we didn’t internalize him and his words. Just doing stuff doesn’t matter. Just calling him Lord doesn’t matter. The book of James says that the demons do that. They know he is God, but don’t do anything about it.

I want him in my heart. I want him to be part of me, a part that I can no longer live without than I can my heart or my lungs. I want him to be so integrated into my existence  that without him, I would die.

I want him my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.