java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, October 14, 2010

a new phone

We are regressing as a family. We are going to get a land-line from the telephone company.

Well, alert the media, you say. So what?

We have had nothing but cell phones for quite a while now. To make it worse, they are from an area code that is in another state. And to top it all off, they are from a carrier that has lousy service here in Nebraska.

They have always been good and we have been satisfied with their service until now. Since we are in a contract that won’t expire until next month, that means that we are stuck with lousy phones.

So – we have been thinking. Dangerous pursuit, I know. From such revolutions have been born. But I have decided that I want a plain old land line. And I don’t want it attached to my cable. I want it from the phone company. Unless a line gets blown down or broken, that line stays active even in tornadoes and natural calamities.

And – here is the kicker – if I can find one, I am going to get a rotary phone. A black one. With a dial. Luddite-ville here I come.

It won’t be my primary phone of course. There is little worse than trying to dial a long distance number with a lot of zeroes on a rotary phone.

But I just want one. I think I know where I can get one for free. But if I can’t, I found a website that sells old 50 year old reconditioned Western Electric telephones for $40. These are the same kind that I worked on when I worked for Southwestern Bell Telephone back in the 17th century.

Now those phones could take a beating. They were heavy and strong and had great voice and hearing quality. It was much better than the junk we have available to us from WalMart today.

The funny thing about it is that I am excited to get it. I never thought I would. Now I do not want DSL, the phone company based internet service. It is junk compared to cable internet. But I also do not want a cable phone. Probably my dream rotary phone will not work on it.

So – there it is again – we are regressing. We will keep our cell phones. They are a handy set of cultural handcuffs so we will keep on using them, just with a new company as soon as our contract goes out.

Tell you what. I’ll dial your number and give you a call. Stay on the line.

BTW – did you know that the dial tone is an F. it is a great way to tune your guitar if your tuner’s batteries died.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.