java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

my sister, nancy lea

I was just thinking about my sister, Nancy. She will be 50 this year. It is hard to imagine her at 50.

I remember when she was born. December 9, 1960. We were so proud. We had a sister. I always wanted a sister, and evidently my mother had had trouble carrying girls in the past. So when she was born and it was a girl,w e were glad.

Nancy Lea. What a pretty name.

I was eleven years old. I loved carrying her around and holding her and playing with her. She provided a great excuse for not doing my homework that year. Firth grade at OA Fleming Elementary in Freeport, TX.

I didn’t like doing homework anyway, but she was a great excuse for a while. “I didn’t get it done because my little sister was crying all night.” I never used the excuse that she ate my homework, but I am not sure why not.

As we got older, I learned to play the guitar. She loved for me to do so. Her favorite song that I played was Alley Cat. Going on Google, I find that Alley Cat was the debut album by Danish pianist Bent Fabric. Odd name. But a fun song. I would sing it. I would sing, “She meets them” she would arch her back and sing Meow, “And loves them” Meow. “And leaves them” Meow. Like that Catsonova does.

Looking at the words after 40 some-odd years, I realize that the song was about a guy cat who prowls around. The girl cat (cattess?) doesn’t want to let him out of her sight.

But then, again, who cares. A teenaged boy and his sister singing together. It was fun.

She still remembers it, too. She mentioned it not long ago at some dinner or something at our parents’ house.

I went into the army when she was just 8. I came home to get married when she was 10. She was inordinately jealous, to the point of almost becoming obnoxious. She laid all over me until Mom made her get off so my new wife (her rival for my affections) and I could “go to sleep”.

She was just proud of having a tall, straight, rather well-built brother in the army. I looked good at the time.

I miss her. She lives in Tyler, TX and we correspond some on Facebook, but I wish I lived closer to her and her family..

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.