java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, October 24, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:42-47)

When I first got married, I spent every moment I could with my new wife. She was so much fun to be with. Any chance I had to sneak away from work (I was in the army in Germany at the time), I would take it.

Some of my friends laughed at me about it. But I did not care. I just liked being with her and she liked being with me. Being married was new and fresh and fun. I never missed an opportunity to be with her, to walk around town with her, to eat with her, just to be with her.

After a while, though, the new wears off and, if you are fortunate and work at it, you move into a good relationship.

Of course, sometimes it is easy to view that new relationship – one of familiarity and solidity – as being boring. The problem is, you cannot be a newlywed all your life.

The same with church. When you first came to Jesus, it was all new. The songs were new, the stuff was new, the people were new. And it was fun because you hadn’t done it before.

After a while, though, it settles into a relationship. And if you are not careful, you can see that as being boring.

It isn’t though. It is comfortable. You are with people you know and you are comfortable with them. Instead of a new situation, it become s a good situation. It is like the lady who walked into church today. She had not been there for a week or so as she was sick. She wanted to come back and when she came in she just looked around and said, it is good to be back in church.

That is the comfortable situation. You are with friends. You eat together, you laugh together, you pray and sing together,  you study together.

That is the relationship you search for in marriage, in friendships, in church. And it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.