java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, October 9, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:12)

We just got back from the annual Foursquare Church convention in Denver last night late. It was a long trip but it was also a good one.

It was a good week all in all. We had the chance to see and meet a lot of people. We also had the honor being ordained into the Foursquare Church.

A lot of the people I saw I had already met on Facebook, so it was funny in some ways to finally meet them in person. I don’t know who took their pictures for Facebook but they looked nothing like what I had envisioned.

But that is often, if not always, the case. The person you meet in the flesh is most of the time different than the person you meet online, or on the phone or over the mail. You have given that person characteristics that are not always reasonable.

That is because the face to face meeting is always different than the impersonal meeting over Facebook or a letter or whatever. In those kinds of meetings, we gain information based on our own thoughts and interpretations.

When we meet face to face, we see the real person that we have made in our image. Now he is real and we see the real face, hear the real voice, see the real person.

Sometimes, it is surprising. Cameras can lie, after all. There are whole websites devoted to how Facebook pictures can look different from the real thing, how they can be cropped or photoshopped or whatever to make  you look better or thinner or prettier than the real thing.

Someone we think is tall is short, someone we think is thin is not, someone we think has a fine mellow voice sounds like an accordion with a hole in it. When we see people in person, then we see the real them.

We see God in his word. As we read and pray and study and gain wisdom, his Spirit gives us insight into who God is. But when we see him, we will know, because there he will be standing for us to see.

We will see the real person then, we will gaze on the real face then, we will see as we are seen and know as we are known. All of our preconceptions will be gone and we will see God. What a day that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.