java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

ny favorite star trek character

Someone asked me at church the other day who my favorite Star Trek character is. I replied Worf.

They were surprised and asked why. Most people would choose one of the main characters, I suppose. Spock is always a favorite, as is Kirk.

But Worf is my favorite character. He is a person out of his element, raised by human parents who were gentle souls, the son of a disgraced warrior, yet maintains his central ethic. He is a warrior. He even drinks prune juice and considers it a warrior's drink. He is a stronger Klingon than any other because he has thought about it and chosen to be so.

This is a powerful trait, to be what you are meant to be even though you are out of pocket. In life, you choose who you are. Your environment plays a large part but it really comes down to what you want to be.

When I was younger, the song “Born to be Wild” always bothered me. It touched a chord inside me that was hard to overcome. In fact, there was a period of time when I almost gave in to it, which would have ruined my life. I think on several levels, I was born to be wild.

But – and there is the rub, as Shakespeare said – I was saved to be his.

When I was younger, people saw in me the capacity to do something strange or rebellious. I am not sure why, but it came up more than once. Even though I was a minister of the gospel, people said on many occasions, “You sure don’t look like a minister,” That pleased me on some level, foolish at that was.

It took a couple of hard knocks to make me realize that the desire to be wild was wrong. And I chose the better way – that of God and his way.

Worf was from an alien background, raised in, what was to him, another alien background and served in yet a third. Yet he maintained his central integrity: he was Klingon. He understood the other, but chose his direction.

I can understand who people can be certain ways, but I choose not to be that way. I choose to be a child of God and to serve him. Back in my youth I always said, no one can make me kneel, but I choose to kneel to

God. After all, he is King.

I don’t say that much anymore. It was a bit confrontational and arrogant. But I still believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.