java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

acting wise

Whoever is wise, let him heed these things
and consider the great love of the LORD.
(Psalm 107:3)

There is wisdom and there is wisdom. Some claim wisdom who just don’t seem very smart. And some don’t claim any wisdom at all who look pretty smart.

I always distrusted people who call themselves apostles. It you are, I will know it. If you aren’t, I will also know that.

That is one reason Jesus said to not call people Master or Rabbi or Teacher. He didn’t mean you couldn’t use honorifics in dealing with others. What he meant was don’t love names of honor. There is nothing wrong with having a title. What is wrong is insisting on one.

If you are wise, you will act wise. Proverbs 4:7 says, Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. If you want to be wise, in other words, act wise. Act wise long enough and you will probably become wise.

Order your life around wise things, do wise things, think wise thoughts, just in general be wise. And after a while, people will notice that you are wise.

Being wise is not a matter of having wisdom appended to your name or on your business card or stationery. It is a matter of heeding the will of God. If you are wise, you will, as the psalmist says, heed these things and consider the great love of the Lord.

A wise person knows what is important. That wise person will do what is important. And that wise person will think what is important.

And you will know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.