java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, August 26, 2010

the job of a preacher

No one likes to venture into areas that might be painful, so what people do is specialize in stuff they already know. Since they know it already, they are on familiar ground and there is no fear of stepping off somewhere that they might feel uncomfortable.

This many times is fault of preachers. They know that people are uncomfortable with new ideas so they stay with the old. People like to be reminded of what they already know. It makes them feel superior and knowledgeable.

It is when a preacher gets into new and uncomfortable theology that people get antsy. That is the hardest part of ministry in many ways: the preaching. You have to talk to a group of people from all levels of understanding and feed them all. There has to be something for those who are new and don’t know much and there has to be something for those who are old in the faith and know a lot. Both need to be fed.

My job as a pastor is to give each of them something to chew on. If I don’t, I have hurt one group or the other. Too much meat, and the babies starve. Too much baby food and the adults are stunted in their growth.

It is kind of like the chili supper I cooked for a Christmas party once. I made a lot of chili for those who like chili. I also made a small bowl for those who like their chili stupidly hot, and another bowl of stew for those who digestive tracts can’t take chili.

Then there was cornbread for those who like chili but like it moderated with cornbread, and there was nothing for those who were too ornery to like what I cooked. Something for everybody all in one meal, all made from the same basic ingredients.

That is your average Sunday sermon: basics for those who are new, and something to chew on for those who are not. And the ones who don’t care can just sleep (although not too many do that). It takes a lot of preparation by the preacher, but it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.