java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, August 13, 2010

young men's hair styles

I was looking at guys in the mall and looking at their hairstyles. There are some strange ones out today.

Nothing really nifty like when I was young, of course. Well, that isn’t true, though, because I have seen a resurgence of late 60’s hair styles.

But there are so many weird ones mixed in too.

One of them is the bedhead look. The hair is mussed up and looks like you just got out of bed. The odd thing about it is that it is done on purpose and has gel to hold it that way.

Another is the mohawk and several of its variations.

I remember when we were in high school back in the 60’s. The dress codes always spelled out exactly what we could wear and what we couldn’t. One of the hair styles that were verboten was the mohawk. I remember thinking, as did all of my friends when we talked about it, that who in the stupid world would want to wear a mohawk hair cut. That was dumb.

Then the British punks brought it in during the 70’s and early 80’s and now you see it a fair amount. And guess what? I still think it is silly. Of course, I am a guy who buzzes his hair all off, so go figure. But still, it looks silly.

One of the mohawk’s hair styles is also a corollary of t he bedhead. The center part is combed up into a center row. You don’t actually cut it into a mohawk, but it is awful close.

I am glad to see the mullet gradually disappearing, though. It was odd, even though for a while I wore a variation, back when it was popular. Mine of course, was elegant.

So many young men are starting to wear their hair like late 60’s rock stars, and some, in what I used to think of as the Vietnam veteran’s style: longer in the front and kind of combed over. A lot of the Vietnam vets I knew had a variation of that haircut. I suppose that it was the military haircut grown out. Mine never would go like that, so I just let mine grow back then.

Sometimes it is a bit startling to see someone who looks like someone you used to know. They can’t be, though, because the guy you knew is your age and this kid isn’t. I was at a seminary for a class once and there was a fellow there who had long curly blond hair pulled back into a ponytail. He looked for all the world like a guy I knew back in the early 70’s. Only this was in 2008. I went to him and commented on that. He listened politely and we laughed about it and he probably went off thinking, old coot. But the similarity was so great.

I have even seen some Afros. I had one of them for several years. My hair went into curls if left to its own devices so it fit.

Still a lot of shaved or very closely cropped haircuts around, though. Someone called that the new toupee. A guy shaves his head if he is going bald and pretends that it is just shaved. Everybody knows as well as everybody knows when you are wearing a toupee.

I also see guys walk by in groups. All of the guys in the group will have similar hairstyles. That is kind of funny when the hairstyle is a bit different.

I love to see the massive diversity of humanity. And hair is one thing, I guess.

No point to this. Just an observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.