java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, February 11, 2010

snowing outside

It is snowing outside right now as I am writing this. We have had a lot of snow in the past month.

In Nebraska, where we have been for the past few weeks and are planning to move, the snow is piled up to unbelievable heights. All along the streets it is probably two feet tall at least. In the mall parking lot, the snow is 10 feet high. It is strange to see snow that high.

And in the northeast they are having record snowfalls, up to three feet deep. That is a pile of snow.

As a Texas coastal guy, snow has always really fascinated me. In the army in 1970, it snowed in northeast Georgia where I was stationed at the time. Several of the guys were from snow country and they immediately began grousing about the snow.

I, on the other hand, as Mel likes to say, had not seen much snow in my life. I was, after all, from the Galveston area. I was excited and a couple of my friends were excited too. We began to play in the snow and throw snowballs and stuff. Before long, our infectious enthusiasm caught the snow country guys and they began to mess around a little in the snow, too.

It wasn’t long before we all were playing in the snow, the whole lot of us – northern, southern, in between. We were all having a grand old time.

And one thing I noticed. When the snow fell, it hid all of the ground in a beautiful way. Areas that weren’t so pretty, areas that were – all got covered and all looked the same. It didn’t matter whether it fell on trash or flowers, it all looked white and pretty.

Psalm 51:7 says, Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. The grace of God covers us like that snow. No matter what our lives were before we came to him, no matter the scars or ugliness, his grace covers us and makes us beautiful

In Isaiah, God says, Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. (Isaiah 1:18)

God’s grace is such that it can cover any sin and you will be as pretty as a snow covered field in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.