java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Romans 8:35,37)

The hardest concept for me to grasp for much of my life has been that God would love me even if I did bad. His love is not contingent on my performance. He loves me anyway. He may not be pleased with me, but he loves me anyway.

The same goes for my kids. I love them even when they act like idiots. My love is not predicated by their performance. I love them anyway. I have always told them that if they ever need it, my home is open to them. I may not care for their actions, I may even not care for them personally, but I still love them.

One of the worst pictures we can have of God is his insistence that we perform to his expectations before he loves us. He does that no more than we do as parents. Or rather, if we do, we are pretty sorry.

He always loves us and is always willing for us to come back home to him.

That is the central message of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.