java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

snow and designer fashions

It is snowing outside. Beautiful big fat white snowflakes, the kind like you see in pictures of snow. This weekend we had the driving pellets that feel like a sand-storm. That are absolutely no fun. It feels like it will abrade the skin off your face and then, to add insult to injury, will give you frostbite.

Sunday afternoon, we went to an outdoor mall in Lincoln, one of those that are designed to look like a little upscale city. It was about 38 or 39, no wind and the snowflakes were falling straight down. I had on a sweater and my fedora and it was perfect. It was the kind of day, although overcast, that was beautiful.

We walked around and looked at the stores and had a good time. On Monday, when we left to come home, the wind was blowing at 20-25 mph, it was 18 and the snow was blowing again like a sandstorm. As the song says, what a difference a day makes. One day it is almost a picture and the next a horror movie.

On that note, one of the stores we went into was called Von Maur. It was a store like Nieman-Marcus or Nordstrom’s. I usually don’t want to go into stores like that. I have never enjoyed conspicuous consumption, so I have never enjoyed those kind of stores. As we went through it to get to the other side, three girls came by, dressed in the current height of fashion, things that by their obvious worn look had cost big bucks. I thought about kids growing up in that kind of setting, where they bought basic things from an upscale store. After a while, they would feel entitled to that kind of place and will, undoubtedly have a lot of trouble if their future husbands could not support that habit. Being forced after a while to buy things from Dillards’, or JC Penney’s or Sears or, horror of horrors, Wal-Mart.

I have never really gotten into designer fashions. That is probably a good thing since I am 6’3” and tend toward gargantuan. I suppose that there isn’t a big and tall fashion store anywhere and I would be reduced to having to have my stuff tailor made. Rough life. Having to go 2 or 3 times a week to have the tailor take more measurements and fit me again. Easier to go to Wal-Mart and buy what I need. Of course, JC Penney and Dillard’s both have big and tall departments where I can find some good stuff on sale occasionally. As I told my son one time, not having a lot of money makes smaller things more fun. Of course, that could be rationalizing. Since I am a pastor and they do not exactly get a lot of money, I have had to make do. The funny thing is that my family has always been well-dressed. I pride myself on that.

Or I would if I weren’t so humble. Once I got a medal for humility, but they took it away when I wore it. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.