java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, February 18, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: "The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times" (Psalm 12:6)

Some jewelers are reputable, you can take their word on the quality of their silver. Some aren't. When I bought my silver wedding ring, I bought it from one of those mall kiosks run by a strange looking guy. They specialize in silver and have 1000 different silver things.

But what always bothered me is how cheaply they sell their stuff.

Ella and I had been going more and more to silver since our 25th anniversary. And besides, since my hair was graying the way it was, silver looked better on me than gold. So I decided to buy a silver wedding ring.

I looked at the ring for a few minutes and thought about it but decided not to buy it. The guy at the kiosk wanted to sell something and tried to talk me into it. After saying no a couple of times, he offered me a price I couldn’t refuse. It was really low, and I couldn’t pass it up.

I wondered how he could run a business selling stuff that cheaply.

While the ring has never turned on me or anything like that, and it retains its shine, still, I wonder how pure silver it is.

Not that I will get rid of it or anything, but I do wonder. That guy, with his really low price, is not my silver standard in the world. For that, I want to go to a really good, expensive jeweler, one that is known for his quality. Of course, I will pay 10 times what I paid to that guy in the middle of the mall, but I will know I got quality silver.

The same with the word of God. When the Lord says something, you can take him at his word and know he is telling the truth. God's word is our final authority in life.

I know that he always tells me just what I need to know. He tells me the truth. John 17:17 says his word is truth. He is my silver standard. His silver, his word, is refined to the point that I know it is pure, that it is real.

To him I go for what is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.