java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, February 1, 2010

christian movies

I am watching a Christian movie right now, Beautiful Dreamer. I guess it must be a failing of mine that I do not in general like Christian movies. It is not that I need violence or stuff like that. It is that most Christian movies are junk. They are leaden and slow and generally badly acted. Kind of like movies with Russians in them. Introduce a Russian into the movie and the movie automatically drags. Christian movies are kind of the same. Beautiful Dreamer is one of the better ones I have seen, I will have to admit.

It is a shame that good directors always do moral crap. What could happen if a really good director did a Christian world-view movie. That was one thing that the Passion did so well. It answered the question, what if someone decent did a movie on the life of Jesus? I don’t mean that I wish someone would put out a whole bunch of well-made goofy Christian movies, just that someone would make a bunch of high quality, action oriented movies that had a Christian world view, that were decent and not liberal garbage that denigrates all that I hold dear.

It is amazing to see what the world considers “faith-based” movies. When the Passion came out, Hollywood was all ready to do Christian stuff for those weird Christians. The next one out was Nativity, one of the most boring and whiny movies I ever saw. Any time Hollywood shows Christians they are whiny and gripy and domineering. And usually the bad guys. It has been that way for a long time. This dawned on me when I watched How the West Was Won, one of my favorite movies again not long ago. It suddenly dawned on me that the bad guys, a man played by Walter Brennan, and his kids were quoting Bible verses. The same kind of person was in Judge Dredd, another movie I liked, but the bad guys were shouting Hallelujah and such a lot.

It would be something if someone who was really good at his job were to direct movies which were quality and decent.

Then we could get lawn chairs and watch while the pigs flew in formation overhead.

UPDATE: Improbably ending, but it was a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.