java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, August 21, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Then the Lord asked Satan, “Have you considered my servant, Job. He is the finest man in all the earth – a good man who fears God and will have nothing to do with evil.” “Why shouldn’t he, when you pay him so well?” Satan scoffed. (Job 1:8-9)
To some, there is always a mitigating factor. They would do something if only they were rewarded as well as someone else they notice.

In the beginning, satan was one of the angels of God. We are not sure of the relationship or who it all happened, but this we know: once he stood before God. And if Job is any indication of anything beyond just a morality tale, he may still do so.

But like a lot of people who are annoyed that they have not done better, he complained to God.

God said, look at Job. He is a good man. Satan said, sure he is. You pay him well. Pay me well and I would be good, too.

Of course, God had paid him well, giving him all that heaven had to offer in a literal, physical sense. He was an angel, with all the privileges attendant to such an office.

But he lost it through greed. He wanted more. And now he is again, wanting more.

Sure, I would be holy, righteous, happy, fulfilled, if you would give me stuff like you gave Job.

The Lord knew that it was not the stuff that Job served him for. It was Job’s love for God. But satan was so full of his own greed, he couldn’t see that.

When satan took everything away, Job still worshiped. When God pointed that out, Job’s response: Well, of course. Don’t make me sick and I’d serve too.

Patently false, but satan’s way of thinking. Reward me and I will serve. I rewarded you and you turned, says God. Well, reward me again and I would probably start again.

It is always about what have you done for me lately. No backstory, no memory of what had come before, just give me now.

Ingratitude is one of the worst things we can do, whether to God or each other. Taking what has been offered as one’s due rather than a gift, forgetting what has been done in the past, greed for more. All these kill a relationship.

They sure killed the one between satan and God, for sure. And they will kill any between us, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.