java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, August 13, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires. (Romans 13:12-14)
We live in a culture that glorifies the tawdry.

I was looking at a commercial for overpriced jeans that said Stupid is the good way to go, smart isn’t. it went several different ways to say that but essentially that was the gist.

One o f the most successful movie franchises is the Jackass Movies, wherein people do really stupid and dangerous things. Cursing and sexual activity are becoming more and more prevalent on TV in prime time.

More and more teachers are becoming involved with their students. More and more authority figures are showing themselves to be foolish. Clothing is becoming briefer and briefer, morals looser and looser, we will talk about just about anything in any venue at any time.

Reading the internet, you see more and more stuff happening as it seems people slide deeper and deeper into the abyss. We are becoming a culture that is unbelievably coarse.

The apostle Paul said here to not participate in these things. Now that doesn’t mean become a monk and live in a cave. Even Jesus lived in his culture and did stuff with people that, in  some people’s minds compromised himself.

But it does mean that you heart and your life has to remain clear, the light must keep on shining.

You are a child of God and as such are above the world. Someone always says to you, What? Are you too good to go with us to do whatever it is they want to do? And your answer is yes. I am a child of God. God and his grace live within me and govern me.

My life is not my own. I want to live it in such a way that all can see God in me and that his name can be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.