java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, June 11, 2011

some clothes look good on some people and do not on others

These proverbs will give insight to the simple knowledge and discernment to the young. (Proverbs 1:4 NLT)
At the mall the other day, it occurred to me that some clothes look good on some people and do not on others.

Now I realize that that it not necessarily a late breaking news flash. But a lot of people do not seem to recognize that simple fact.

For instance, a pair of shorts on some girls look very good. But then there is the chubby girls who have shoehorned themselves into a pair of shorts. The girl in question was not that bad looking a girl, but in those shorts, she looked foolish.

Why is it as a culture that so many have decided to look silly. Whether in clothes or choice of body jewelry or whatever. The desire to have a certain look is so great that common sense is cast aside.

I read an article yesterday about the woman who currently holds the record for the most piercings married a very ordinary retired civil servant in England. She was covered in more than 6,800 piercings, over 400 of which were on her face. He was a balding man wearing a blue suit, shirt and tie. Never have two people looked more different.

The article said that she had painted up her face to draw attention to the holes she had punched in it.

On the internet, you can access a website that specializes in people who shop at WalMart. Some border on the truly bizarre. What makes people dress like this?

I believe it all goes back to this simple passage. The proverbs Solomon and others wrote give simple knowledge and discernment to the young.

Of course, much of the problem is that it is not just the young who look like this. It is everybody. The pierced woman above was in her late 40’s.

Much of our wisdom and knowledge and such is based on the Trickle Down Effect. It should trickle down from the older to the younger.

But when the older are every bit as foolish as the younger, who teaches whom?

The more we cast aside the Bible and the things in the Bible – the rules for life, wisdom, simple common sense – the further down into the cultural hole we go.

The psalmist said in Psalm 119:104-106 Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life. Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise it again: I will obey your righteous regulations.

When we recognize that, we are fine. When we don’t we begin to look at lot like America is looking today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.