java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, June 23, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)
A few years ago, we were in Washington State, to which we had just moved. It was winter and we drove around a lot to get acquainted with our new home.

We noticed forests of what we found out were Tamarack pines, pines that lost their needles in the winter like regular trees. That surprised us. We thought there had been a rather large forest fire because of all the bare trees. But it was normal winter-time behavior.

At the top of one of them was the first eagle I had ever seen in real life. He sat atop one of the Tamarack pines like he owned it.

I had a camera and wanted to take a picture of him taking off. I waved my hat and jumped up and down to get him to move. Finally he did. It was majestic. He dropped off the tree top, spread his wings and flew away.

It was so beautiful I forgot to take his picture until it was almost too late and he was just a dot in the sky.

I always thought the picture in Psalm 55 was funny. It is the picture of one who is flying away in fear.
My heart pounds in my chest.
      The terror of death assaults me.
Fear and trembling overwhelm me,
      and I can’t stop shaking.
Oh, that I had wings like a dove;
      then I would fly away and rest!
I would fly far away
      to the quiet of the wilderness. (Psalm 55:4-7)
When we run away in fear, we scurry like a dove. When we fly in faith, we soar like an eagle.

In Jesus, we have strength and power. Like a champion weight lifter, mighty eagle majestically soaring through the air, like a marathon runner in peak condition, like a well-equipped and experienced mountain climber – such is the strength of those who trust in God.

And that strength comes from him, not our own reserves. If left up to us, we flit away like a dove.

He gives us strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.