java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Lord, through all the generations
      you have been our home!
Before the mountains were born,
      before you gave birth to the earth and the world,
      from beginning to end, you are God.
You turn people back to dust, saying,
      “Return to dust, you mortals!”
For you, a thousand years are as a passing day,
      as brief as a few night hours. (Psalm 90:1-4 NLT)
When I was a little boy, I remember asking my mother, as all children who go to church do sooner or later, where God came from. My mother replied that God had always been, he was eternal.

It was hard to wrap my head around that when I was young. As I have gotten older, however, it has gotten no easier.

The flip answer to the question is that God has always been. The true, reasoned answer is God has always been.

There is no easy answer.

But we know this: the Bible says that God is love (1 John 4). And since God is love and God has always been, love has always been. The force of love has always been at work in the universe.

We had to work pretty hard to come around to hate, but love has always been, because God has always been here.

And this eternal love, this eternal force which transcends time and space, loves you. No matter how far you look or travel, God is there. And he is love.

To him time is different than it is to us. He moves differently. When we die, and he takes us to be with him, we will move in that time sense.

People always debate what will happen when we die. Will we go to heaven or hell immediately? Or will there be this big waiting room where we will sit around and read magazines until it is time for the judgment? Or will we lie in suspended animation or in our graves or what?

But when we die, we go to be with God. To him time is different. We are no longer locked into our physical time frame. With him it will be tomorrow for us, as all our  yesterdays will be gone.

But in all this, we know that God is eternal and he is love. His whole time sense is that of love.

In him we will be subsumed in that pure love and then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. (1 Corinthians 13:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.