java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

you can run but you can't hide - more thoughts from the book of hebrews

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:13)

Jonah figured this out early. You can run but you cannot hide. God not only sees where you are and he also sees who you are.

A Christian can pretend he is something good when he isn’t, and the only one he is fooling is himself (maybe).

1 John says that if we say we have no sin we lie and the truth is not in us. Not the truth is not known by God, because it is. He truly sees our hearts.

The heart is deceitful above all else and desperately wicked, who can know it. I the Lord know the heart, I know the mind  (Jeremiah 17:9ff - my own translation). God knows us even when we refuse to know ourselves.

The amazing thing in all this is even though he knows us, he loves us with an everlasting love. Just like you will love your children even when they act stupid, God will love us anyway.

My wife is one of those rare creatures who loves her husband with an unqualified love. It would be interesting (from a purely academic viewpoint, of course – not first hand) to see what would make her stop loving me. She would love me if I were in the gutter, she would love me if I were wealthy, she would love me anyway.

And the same goes for me. However, if I had to admit it, my love for her stands short next to her love for me. She is that kind of woman. I know that she loves me.

In the same way, I know that God loves me, even when I am short of his expectations. He knows us, yet he loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.