java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, January 28, 2011

just imagine

Just imagine:

Unlocking doors; church interiors as public spaces in the city; worship installations staying up all the time; the local church building as an open-doored hangout; sofas, visuals, newspapers, books, food, drink; good coffee; ...plenty of places to plug in your laptop; opening hours 10am to midnight; spiritual resources and personal space available at all times; a place to work, rest and pray; the living room only bigger.

Rolling community – like the Cheers bar: as one set of characters leave another set arrive. All are connected by the bar staff [who themselves come and go] or one or two members who exchange groups. Everybody does some connecting in this way. The community is a network, not just a spoked wheel dependent on a few at the center.

said Pollyanna.

We actually had begun on this idea for a while and were even making plans to buy a storefront across the street from ours that had been a pet store. It had a group of apartments above where we would live. the bottom was 2 storefronts wide, one for a bookstore/coffee house (we were running a coffeehouse at the time) and the other as a worship facility. There were rooms at the back for a sound studio and counseling areas. But everything fell through.

It is one of those things that baffles you. Why did God give me the vision then yank it back? I may go to my grave wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.