java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

second life

Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment. (Hebrews 9:27)
Lately I have been having a bit of a fantasy about being 18 again. You know, what I would do, how I would change my life, that sort of thing.

As my wife points out, it is somewhat of a foolish fantasy, as it will never happen. But I still persist.

What would I do if it were mine to do again?

I get to thinking about how I would change life. I would get my education earlier and go through with the doctorate I never got. I would major in performance music in college, instead of Bible. I would get my Master of Divinity. I would leave the Church of Christ earlier and become part of the Jesus people in the late 60’s, early 70’s.

One thing I would not want to change and would do everything I could to not do so would be to marry Ella. I  don’t know how she would react to me – a long-haired charismatic trying to convince her to marry me. After all, when we met, we both were in the same denomination. In fact we met at a youth activity in Pasadena, TX, right after a revival. That part might be a bit hard.

But the point is: there are lots of things I want to change. I would still go into the army. I was glad to give that to my country. But so many other things I would change in a New York minute (whatever that is).

I have even thought about what kind of car I would buy (a pickup instead of the ’62 Mercury Meteor I had) and a bunch of other stuff.

So I got to wondering. Why exactly am I getting into this kind of absolutely close-ended fantasy? It will not happen so there is no real purpose in thinking about it.

It dawned on me the other day. I don’t like the world we live in right now. I guess that is it. I try to do something others have done so often: retreat to the good old days.

Of course, one of the main problems with this line of thinking is that sooner or later (unless I get killed earlier in life), I will be 60 again. And probably life will be, at least, similar to now. So I haven’t really done anything except go through it again.

Goofy things to be thinking about, but hey, at least I have my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.