java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, January 27, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.(Ephesians 6:12)
The political season is upon us and there is a battle royale being waged. The Democrats hate the Republicans and vice versa. And to both of them, the other is the anti-Christ, bent upon the destruction of the human race.

Politics are interesting, and the older I get, the more they interest me. I read more about them now than I ever have. That may be the influence of the internet, or it just may be a season of my life.

Whatever it is, I have found out one thing. In a hundred years, this will not matter.

In a hundred years, what will matter? Contemporary politics will be nothing more than a classroom study. That is provided the Lord allows the United States to continue. As silly as we are acting, he may not.

What will matter? Quite frankly, my relationship with my wife will matter. We have had children who will have children. And in a hundred years, there will be a lot of people on the earth who would not have been here had I not married Ella. And that matters, at least to me, a lot more than who wins the senate seat from Nebraska.

What will matter? Chief among all of the things that happen will be the ones who we have brought to Jesus and his grace. If I persevere, those I have brought to Christ will bring others and the church will be better for my having been in it. And that matters more than my family.

What will matter? In a hundred years, unless the Lord comes again, the church will still be here. No political pressure or triumph or support in history has ever stopped it nor ever will. That matters the most.

When we fight, we need to make sure that what we fight for is what is important. Yes, politics matter, to a point. But they are not the ends of the earth. Whether or not we get fast trains or use ethanol matters not a whit to those in other countries who are fighting for their very survival. It doesn’t matter to the Christians in Islamic countries who cannot even proclaim aloud their faith.

To them it is a big fat deal.

We love our country and want to make it better. We want to stop bad laws and elect good people. There are things we believe in that we can change through the electoral system.

But, as Christians, we do not fight against stuff. We fight against the devil and the forces of darkness.

That is what we need to remember. And he is neither Republican nor Democrat. He is evil and he wants you to join him in hell. And you need to remain in the grace of God, clothed in the armor of God, armed with a shield of faith, bringing others into the safety and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

That is what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.