java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, January 3, 2011

daily java

Daily Java: 
For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age (Titus 2:11-12)
You can just say no.

Back in the late 1980’s, Nancy Reagan was ridiculed for her campaign to “Just Say No to Drugs.” Her idea was simple: tell the person that offers you something you don’t want No.

Of course, people on the liberal side were appalled at the simplicity of such a preposterous idea. You can’t just say no, they cried. You have to have help from government committees and campaigns to say no.

They viewed us as powerless pawns, floating along in a life over which we had absolutely no control. The idea of actually having control, of deciding to do something ourselves was beyond their own worldview.

I can’t just decide to lose weight. I need a program, with plans and professional help. I need encouragement and maybe a government handout.

I can’t just decide to wait until marriage to have sex. It is impossible. I need government help in getting free condoms and abortions.

I can’t quit drinking – smoking – drugs – whatever. Somebody has to help me.

And the bad thing is, they were right. To a point that is. Without God in your life, all you have is will-power. With God in your life, you have power beyond what you can muster by yourself.

With the grace of God in your life, you have the power to say no. Without it, you are at the mercy of your desires.

With that grace in your life, God is in control. We live for him.

Without that grace in your life, you are in control. And you have been in control before and have done a stupid job with your life. Romans 3:23 says it well. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Romans 7 says that without the grace of God in your life, all you can do is the wrong thing. It says that no matter how hard you try, you just keep failing.

Romans 8, though, says: For the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death.

In other words, with God, all things are possible (Mark 9:23).

The grace of God is the power that gives us the ability to say No. Without it, you are a slave to what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.