java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

daily java

Daily Java: 
 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, “Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you.” He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” (Matthew 12:38-39)
Coming into a new relationship with the Spirit was great. Not long after I was baptized in the Spirit, Ella and I were lying in bed. She had been suffering from migraine-like headaches for a few years and that night, they were bad.

I told her that we were associated with a new group of people now who believed in miracles and healing. We had come out of a group that didn’t really believe in anything you couldn’t see and not much of that.

I suggested that we pray for her healing. I prayed a simple, short, brief prayer that she be healed. She felt a snap inside her head and the headache was gone. She has never had those kinds of headaches again in her life.

That was great. For a while I went around praying for people and they were healed. It was amazing. Of course, not everyone, but a good percentage of them were.

Then it stopped. And I want it to start up again. I want the visible presence of God in my life that was there in the acts of healing. Add to that the fact that Ella has a tremendous disability now and I want her healed. But God has not healed her.

God has spoken to me on several occasions to tell me something. He doesn’t now like he did. I want him to.

I was slain in the Spirit and I want to be again, but I have not. And will not go down for anyone but God.

I want some signs that God is still here and with me. I want them badly.

But – and here is the point of all this – I do not believe in God because of the signs. Yes, the signs are strengthening and quite frankly exciting, but they are not why I believe.

I believe because I know in my heart that he is real, separate and apart from his signs. I do not have to have the signs to know he is real.

It is a weakness to go from “Holy Spirit Revival” to “Holy Spirit Revival” looking for a sign. I do not think it is wrong, but it shows a definite level of immaturity.

It is like the child constantly seeking affirmation from his or her father that he loves them. In that kind of person, it is hard just to accept that he loves them. They have to keep hearing it over and over. It is insecurity.

God loves us and we know he does. We do not have to sit on his lap and be given presents 24/7 just to know that.

In the scripture above, it was not people seeking more verification of their faith. It was a group of people who were trying to trick Jesus into doing something they considered silly or blasphemous. Of course, it didn’t work.

King Herod, at Jesus’ trial, had the same request. His, of course, was different. He was looking at a freak and wanted a show. When Jesus refused him the show, he became angry.

I would imagine that when Jesus turned these guys down and instead gave them a mini-sermon on life and faith, they were also irritated.

Jesus had the ability to irritate people, that is for sure. And used it a lot.

But the point is, the power of God and his Holy Spirit through Jesus is not for our entertainment. Nor is it at our disposal simply because we feel we need it. Philippians 2:13 says, It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

God does what he wants to do when he wants to do it. That is why he is God and we are not.

But you can know, even when you don’t hear from him for a while, he still loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.