java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her. (Genesis 29:20)
Have you ever wanted anything so bad you would do anything to get it?

I still remember getting my first credit card. 1972, it was a JCPenney card issued to Johnny Cliver. We were going to buy something – I believe a TV – and they gave us the credit card. The man said, and I remember it so well, go get you a couple of shirts or something while we get the TV ready.

Wow! It was like a door opened. I had a credit card. Gone were the days of layaway and having to wait for stuff. I could have it now.

Of course, it was not long until I got bitten by the card. The problem with the card and its instant access to stuff I wanted was that sooner or later the bill came due and I had to pay it.

There is something to waiting for things over getting them immediately. In the old days – he said, clicking his dentures – you put something in layaway or you saved up yourself until you could get it. That meant that when you got it, it was yours. Completely.

And there was a great pleasure that came from having saved up and paid for it.

The word is delayed gratification. Waiting is good.

Jacob wanted Rachel and was willing to wait seven years for her.

Ella and I were engaged for a year before we got married. During that year we were in Germany. So not only did I have to wait, I didn’t get to see her. It was almost like she was taken back into layaway and I had to pay for her for a year.

But when we saw each other, January 4th or so in 1971 when I got off the plane, it was worth it.

The old expression is “act in haste, repent in leisure.” Do something quickly and many times you regret it.

I discovered several things through the years about getting things now as opposed to waiting for them. It never really works. I do badly with credit cards. I do best with layaway.

The first thing we bought like that was a stereo in 1972. It was a nice one with air suspension speakers and an eight track and it cost $150. That was a pile of money in 1972 dollars. We paid half down.

Then a week later, we decided that we wanted it pretty badly. So we paid the other half. We almost didn’t have enough money to eat that week. But the stereo was ours. Nobody could repossess it. And we ate bologna and listened to our new 8 track stereo. Far out!

As the old expression says, anything worth having is worth working for. And I might add, worth waiting for.

That goes completely counter to modern day thought but it is absolutely true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.