java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, April 2, 2012

Seven Last Words of Christ: I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise

Seven Last Words of Christ:
I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:35-43).
As Jesus hung on the cross, bleeding his life away, many around him taunted him and laughed. He was hung between two thieves, a snarky little comment by the ones crucifying him, trying their best to minimize him and his death. After all, if he is hung between two thieves, it is guilt by association, right?

One of the thieves took advantage of  the situation and began railing against Jesus himself. The other recognized Jesus for who and what he was. He also recognized that he and the other guy deserved to be punished.

He called out to the other thief, let him alone. We deserve this. He doesn’t.

Then he looked at Jesus and asked would you please remember me when you come in your kingdom. I recognize you. You are the Messiah. Can you overlook my sinful life and just, if nothing else, claim to know me in that great day?

Jesus, through his haze of pain, looked at his fellow dying man and said, I promise you. Today  you will be with me in paradise. It is not long until we both die and I will not forget you.

We are dying, all of us. We begin the minute we are born. And Jesus promises life. As we die, we have to recognize that need for life. When we do, we call out to God, through Jesus, remember me. Claim me. Know me. Love me. See me.

And when we do, Jesus says to us, through his haze of love, today you will be with me in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.