java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Seven Last Words of Christ: Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!

Seven Last Words of Christ: Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands! (Luke 23:46)

Jesus was finished. He had taken care of everything he had to do. He had taught, he had mentored his apostles, he had even made sure his mother would be taken care of. And now he was through.

There was no reason for him to hang on any longer.

And he was tired, beyond all imagining. Tired, exhausted, weak, in pain and he was ready to go. There was nothing holding him here.

Waiting for him was rest. Waiting for him was peace. Waiting for him were the angels and home.

So, here, what seems to be the last thing Jesus said, he says I give myself to you. My life is your anyway and I give myself to you.

And he died. That part of Jesus that was human was finished. His life was complete. His mission, at least the first part, was done.

But – even though he was dead physically, he was still alive eternally, spiritually. And that was the point of the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.