java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:

Unless the Lord builds a house,
    the work of the builders is wasted.
Unless the Lord protects a city,
    guarding it with sentries will do no good.
2 It is useless for you to work so hard
    from early morning until late at night,
anxiously working for food to eat;
    for God gives rest to his loved ones.
(Psalm 127:1-2)

I know nothing about Byzantine Architecture. I like to look at it, but in fact I know little about architecture in general. But someone suggested that I write about it and it is a good idea.

At least I suppose it is a good idea. Sometimes you do really weird things to break yourself out of a rut. And thinking about Byzantine Architecture is what I am doing right now.

Byzantine architecture is strange, when it comes down to it. The soaring ceilings and all make you feel small. And I suppose that is what it was intended to do – make you feel small in the presence of the Lord.

The only thing is you don't have to feel small in the presence of the Lord. He is your God and he loves you. It is one thing to stand in awe and reverence of God and another to feel small in the presence of man-made architecture.

And to top it off, it was Jesus himself who said that God doesn't live in temples made with hands (John 4). He lives in the hearts and minds of men and women who love him and invite him into them.

I remember once going into a cathedral as a young man, a child. The woman who was taking us around told of how the poor people of the town gave all they had to build this fancy cathedral. They were dirt poor, but gave all. I asked her why people would give money they needed to build a church building. I came from a denomination that considered the church building just that: a building. It didn't make sense to me.

She said that when it was built, all of the people in the village could come there and know that, as poor as they were, they had this fancy church building that was all theirs.

I was right in my observation. They were wrong. God does not need a great, fancy cathedral. All he really needs is a willing heart and a loving mind. He needs faith in him and love for God and others. He needs commitment.

I love to look at the cathedrals and went through a couple in Europe in the army. I would go through more if possible, but there aren't that many here.

Not really that much of an article, but thanks, David.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.