java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Thursday, April 5, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
Then Judas and Silas, both being prophets, spoke at length to the believers, encouraging and strengthening their faith. (Acts 15:32)
I was preaching tonight in a way I haven’t for a long time.

I went to the jail and visited with the inmates for a while. I usually spend about thirty minutes in each pod (those are what they call the small cell blocks – open areas with a metal table and seats and a TV). There are three pods and each pod has between two and seven rooms with double cots. The inmates – unless they are locked down in their rooms for some infraction – congregate in the open areas to talk, play cards or watch TV.

I have been going for a little over a month now, just getting to know them and talking about their problems, taking my time. Some have been there for a long time, some just for a couple of days. Some are gone when I get there that were there last week and I never see them again. One I saw on the street yesterday and he hugged me. I sometimes wonder if I do anything constructive when I go.

In Pod C tonight, one of the inmates asked what Passover was. I suppose that it surprised me since I have known about Passover for my whole life in one way or another. I told them the story of Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. I also told them that it was Passover that Jesus was celebrating when he instituted the Last Supper.

They asked about that and I told them how he took bread and wine and told his apostles that remembering him would be a simple thing. No fancy clothes or buildings or dishes – just bread and drink.

We talked a little more about Easter and then I got ready to leave. One of the guys was looking at my Bible (a paper back NLT Bible – we had bought a case the other day) and I asked him if he needed one. he said yes.

I went to the “bubble”, what they call the main control area where the guards are, and asked if I could leave it with him. They were agreeable. In fact, these are the most agreeable guards I have ever been around.

I went back to the pod and gave it to him, inscribing it with his name, my name and the church here in Boonville I was with. He was glad.

Another guy said he wanted one too if it were possible. I told him I would bring it next week and I left.

Probably about twelve to fifteen guys altogether. Thirty minutes in each section with a couple more in one more room where one man is by himself due to medical problems.

I have never really liked going into jails. There is a lot of misery and unhappiness there and it affects me. but tonight, we talked about Easter and the Last Supper and I liked it.

It made the whole thing feel like I was accomplishing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.