java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

there are those who learn all their lives

Commit yourself to instruction; listen carefully to words of knowledge.
(Proverbs 23:12)There are those who learn all their lives. They never stop. I guess that I am probably one. I love the accumulation of new knowledge.

What do I do with it? Many times, nothing. I just gain it. My wife is amused at it sometimes. I just seem to have a never ending thirst to know new things. Even though it may be of absolutely no use to me, I still will go out of my way to learn it.

And I always picked up stuff fast, too. Languages, ideas, music, philosophies – they just came naturally to me.

I suppose they do because I search them out. I don’t know of anyone who accidentally learns stuff as a matter of course, that is smart by accident. I know you get a lot of your life knowledge accidentally (don’t touch the heater, don’t hold a knife by the blade, etc) but in general, people who are learned set out to be so.

It wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision to learn stuff. Most of the time it is just the way a person is wired.

For instance, I will go out of my way to learn new things. My wife, on the other hand, enjoys hearing about the new things I have discovered but will not pursue them herself. She likes to know the new things, but puts little effort into the learning.

Most people are like that, I think. The odd bit of weird knowledge is interesting but the life-long pursuit isn’t.

There is a book I have that is called “The Bathroom Reader.” It is designed to go in the bathroom to read at the odd times you are trapped in there. It is trivia, completely and utterly useless trivial information. It is fun to read, but useless to life.

I pore through it and others like it. It is almost a disease with me. And for the most part, I do well in Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit and things like that because of that tendency.

Most of the things I learn quite frankly do not stick. But it doesn’t matter. It is the learning.

The same with the child of God. To be pleasing, the child of God has to have a thirst for the knowledge of God. That is not to say that you are just memorizing scripture. Memorizing scripture does not necessarily mean you know God. It just means you know a lot of scripture by heart.

Unless you use that scripture in your service to God, all it becomes is trivia. It has to be used.

Commit. Listen carefully. Know what God wants and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.