java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, September 4, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
You’re talking to the guy in jail. He has been caught robbing a store. You ask, are you sorry you got caught. He looks so contrite. Yes, I’m sorry, he says. If you had it to do again, what would you do? I just wish I had never robbed that store. I hate it in here and people treat me bad. would you do it again? Oh, probably, but I would be more careful and plan better. If I had known he had that gun, I would have gone to a different store.

That is worldly sorrow, the sorrow of getting caught. I am sorry I did the thing, because now I am being punished.

Godly sorrow is totally different. Are you sorry? Yes, I wish I had never done that. It was wrong and, while I deserve what I get, at the same time, if I had it to do again, I would not rob that store.

The reason eight out of ten inmates return to jail is worldly sorrow. They think that if they can just do it the right way, they will get off. If t hey can pick the right store, go at the right time of night, threaten in just the right way, plan their escape better. If they can do these things, they will be fine. They are just sorry they got caught.

God wants real sorrow. He doesn’t want obedience out of fear, or out of duty. He wants obedience out of love.

When you love someone you do the best you can for that person. And what you surely do not want to do is hurt the person. If you do, you are sorry.

It is real sorrow. Not, I am sorry I hurt you because now you are mad, or won’t fix me dinner, or won’t go to bed with me.

It is sorrow that you caused pain and suffering to the person.

Without that, repentance is meaningless.

I have seen people come down for altar call for “repentance” who would say something on the order of “If I have done anything to hurt anyone in any way, I ask forgiveness.”

What does that mean? Nothing. It is a blanket repentance designed to assuage rather than to really say you are sorry.

Real sorrow brings life because it keeps us open to each other, open to God. False repentance, worldly sorrow, brings death because it doesn’t care. And lack of caring will kill even the best relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.