java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, September 5, 2011

if i had it to do again

If I had it to do again

I would do things differently. If I found myself at the age of 18, I would work my hardest to change the direction of my life.

1. I would do better in school. I would seek out my teachers and turn around my classes so that I would graduate on time instead of late. I am smart enough that it would not be hard to turn things around in the second month of my senior year.

2. I would buy a pickup as my first car. I love pickups and would enjoy having one.

3. I would work to earn the respect of my parents. They never really liked me and I have always regretted that. Some of that is not my doing, but I would try my best to change it.

4. I would love my brother more. I would show him my love and do my best to show him that he was a good person rather than him becoming what he was.

5. I would probably try to get a job at KTLW, the radio station in Texas City where I had a part time job in 1968. It really wouldn’t be hard and it would be fun.

6. I would be in a band and play rhythm guitar. It amazes me how easy it is to play the old songs. It would be a blast.

7. I would still marry Ella. I would work my hardest to make sure I was at that bowling alley in time to meet her. She has been the best wife and companion a man could ever have. She was the best decision of my life made at the silliest time. I love her and cannot imagine a life without her.

8. I would leave the Church of Christ sooner. I would probably leave not long after I got married. I would find the closest group of the Jesus people and join them.

9. I would still go into the army. I am glad I served in the army and cannot imagine a life without it. If nothing else, it gave me entrance to a select cadre of people: those who served. Those who never served always had a hundred reasons why they couldn’t, but always wished they had. It also gave me access to college. I would take the two year enlistment that was available at the time, but I would do it before the end of the Vietnam war.

10. I would get my degree early and I would major in performance music and guitar. There are always jobs to be had in that, and if nothing else, I could always take a few Ed courses if I wanted to go in that direction.

11. I would become a pastor early. It would be in an independent church.

12. I would go ahead and get my M Div early, probably on the VA dime. I don’t know that I would need it, but it would stand me in good stead in my life.

13. Above all, I would make my life different. I am not happy with how things worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.