java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, September 24, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Don’t envy evil people
      or desire their company.
For their hearts plot violence,
      and their words always stir up trouble. (Proverbs 24:1-2)
I read a couple of websites to see what people in Holly wood are doing. Both are conservative websites that do not glorify Hollywood or the actors and actresses. I want to know something about our culture but I do not want to be trapped in it.

But I cannot help noticing the absolute adulation in which America seems to hold these people. They are adored and loved and almost worshiped. If they go somewhere, there are hundreds of people there to watch them go eat dinner, or go shopping or go to a movie. If they buy something, everybody else wants it too.

People adore them. And I really cannot figure out why. Maybe it is some personality deficit I have that doesn’t make me want to swarm over them.

But at the same time, I have an inordinate amount of curiosity. Occasionally when I watch a movie or hear a singer or something, I will wonder about that person. So I go to imdb.com and see who they are, a little bit about them.

Invariably, I am depressed when I am finished. Chances are they are the kind of person I would not walk across the street to talk to. They are the kind of person that would never like me nor I them. We would have nothing to do with each other if we met in real life.

In fact, there are times when I despise them. And it impacts the movie I am watching or the performance I am hearing. Some of my favorite actors, when I read more about them, came to absolutely turn me off to their movies.

Some of my favorite actors and actresses and singers, too, I have grown to dislike intensely. When I see them or hear them, it requires quite a suspension of belief to enjoy them in the role.

Maybe they have come out hard and heavy against the things I hold dear. So many “celebrities” think that since people like them and they are good at pretending to be other people or good at singing, they have opinions that are worth trumpeting.

They do not. Simply because a person is a good actor or a good singer does not mean that I want to hear them come out in public with strong pronouncements against what I hold dear.

I remember watching a rerun of the Monkees a few years ago. At the end, they brought out the group and asked them what they thought on various topics. One was Vietnam. Their answers were a hoot. It was obvious they had no real opinions. These were actors who pretended to play and sing on a TV show. They came out as stupid.

Just a couple of days ago, one of my all time favorite singers came out with the notion that 9/11 was our fault. The people we were bombing asked us to stop so when we didn’t, we deserved 9/11. This man was in his 80’s and had spent his life building a reputation and a following.

With me he almost killed it. He recognized that he had hurt his image and came out with a vague apology.

Another singer I have enjoyed since I was a teenager came out with a really stupid insult to the former president, one that was not only untrue, but uncalled for. And he hurt his fan base. I read about it for a long time, and when I see him now, I think about it.

Most people in Hollywood have become corrupted by the power and glory that comes with success. If they were not sorry people when they came, they become that pretty soon.

Proverbs says, do not fawn over them, don’t prefer them over good people. In general, people in Hollywood are really not that great. If they are not corrupted, they will be. And event hose who I see remaining above the fray, sooner or later will give out some boneheaded comment, thinking that because they are popular, they are also smart.

It takes a certain ability to pretend to be other people on the screen. And one of the requirements is to not have that much inside yourself. That way you can absorb another persona easily.

In fact, most actors are playing a role all the time. Usually, when they find their center, their character type, they will play that all the time. John Wayne will be John Wayne 24/7. The same with Clint Eastwood, Audrey Hepburn, Harrison Ford, Kurt Russell – the list goes on.

These are not people to emulate. They are really people to stay away from. I watch them in movies, but I am careful not to get absorbed in the person, just the character.

They are trouble if you try to emulate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.