java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Friday, April 22, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. As he entered a village there, ten lepers stood at a distance, crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy. One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!” He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.” (Luke 17: 11-19)
The funny thing about this passage – well, actually there are two funny things. But one is that he tells one of the men that his faith had healed him. but in actuality, all of them were healed by faith.

They had heard of Jesus and his power and called out to him to have mercy on them and heal them. Jesus did, but only one came back to thank him.

They all believed in the power of God through Jesus enough that when he said to go show themselves to the priests (which was how they verified their healing) they went. And they were healed on the way, not at the moment of Jesus’ comment, but after they had already started.

All of them, grateful or ungrateful, were healed.

The other funny thing is that Jesus didn’t take back his healing when the other nine didn’t come back to thank him. He just commented on the fact that only one did.

Now it could be that they came back later and thanked him. It may be that they were so intent on doing what he said that they were just in a hurry to get it done. It may be that all of them intended to thank him in the future.

It could even be that a couple of them figured he was just doing his job, that it was his duty to do this. So there was no need to thank him for doing what he was hired to do.

But the thing is all of these men were healed on faith and most of them didn’t bother to thank Jesus or give glory to God.

Jesus never took stuff back when people were undeserving of it. Even his death, that which we celebrate this time of year, was for those who did not deserve it.

It amazes me to read 1 Corinthians 14 and to see the misuse of the spiritual gifts in that church. Paul never says, you guys be careful or the Lord will take those away from you. Instead, he says don’t misuse them.

Of course, if they misuse them and turn their backs on God, I don’t think they will do any good in their lives and I figure they will die out. But still, God gives faith and doesn’t take it away even when we act like idiots.

As to the ungrateful part, it has happened to me a lot. And many times, people just figured I was doing my job as a pastor, I was hired to do that. There was no need to thank me or show any gratitude.

It hurts when that happens. People eat your food and drink your coffee and accept your love and then turn on you.

But they did that to Jesus, too. And he still loved them.

So, if he does, I will. what I give isn’t wasted anyway. I gave it to God, just through those people.

I want to be like Jesus, not like the ingrates who used him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.