java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Monday, April 18, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy. Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you. (Matthew 7:6 NLT)
Someone once said to not open a brothel with a prayer. It is also said you never argue the Bible with a drunk. Some things are worthless.

You have to recognize when it is appropriate to do something and when it is not.

Some people will never respond to the gospel and it becomes apparent soon. It is not that you abandon them. It is that you shift your way of dealing with them.

A guy makes it plain that he will ridicule everything you say to him about God. Anything you say, he turns into something foolish. So what do you do? you change and you begin recognizing that open verbal evangelism will not do anything. All you do is hold yourself and the gospel you hold dear up to ridicule.

Now there is nothing to keep you from living ads you should in front of them. But there are people that it is just not good to preach to.

Case in point: Matthew 13:53-58
When Jesus had finished telling these stories and illustrations, he left that part of the country. He returned to Nazareth, his hometown. When he taught there in the synagogue, everyone was amazed and said, “Where does he get this wisdom and the power to do miracles?” Then they scoffed, “He’s just the carpenter’s son, and we know Mary, his mother, and his brothers—James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas. All his sisters live right here among us. Where did he learn all these things?” And they were deeply offended and refused to believe in him. Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his own family.” And so he did only a few miracles there because of their unbelief.
Jesus came to them and tried to tell them the things God had told him, but they would not listen. In fact, they were offended – that last refuge of a wienie. So what did he do? He left. In fact, his ability to perform miracles was severely hampered.

Jesus could have stayed and tried to reason with them but they would not allow it. He knew he would be wasting the short amount of time God has given him.

Another case. I knew a guy in high school who made fun of everything I said, especially if it was about church. I finally quit telling him anything and quite frankly, had nothing to do with him beyond that which was absolutely necessary.

However, it was several years later that someone told me that he recognized what I said and because I had not gotten ugly and retaliated, it made him realize that what I was saying was real and accepted the Lord.

It was worthless at the time, but later it bore fruit.

Another example. The other day I saw an article on CNN that the US Army, the fighting forces of our country, burned a bunch of Bibles that were sent to give to the Afghans. They were afraid of the reaction of the Muslims so they did the most stupid thing they could do. They ran and hid, figuratively speaking.

It would be foolishness to send any Bibles to the army.

I am not going to let the cat wear my wife’s diamond earrings. I am not going to let the dog play with my good shoes. I am not going to give my guitar to someone who will just throw it away or sell it immediately.

I will treat that which is good and holy with respect or I do not deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.