java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, April 2, 2011

broken people are useless

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. (Psalm 51:17)
I was hearing someone the other day say that for someone to be in Christ and useful for the kingdom, he has to be broken.

And my question is: says who?

The Bible never says that. It does say that God is close to the brokenhearted and that a sacrifice is a broken and contrite heart. But where does the Bible ever say that one who comes to God must first be broken?

It is true that one must be teachable, one must be aware of his or her own sinfulness, even contrite and repentant. But the Bible never says a Christina must be broken.

I have known broken people. And in general they are not useful for much.

A horse must be broken in one way to where it will accept a bridle and saddle to be useful, but you can break a horse until it loses any of its spirit and strength.

So many have the idea that before we can come to God and be useful, we have to be broken.

And that is absolutely not true.

We have to let God use us and we have to be aware of the fact that he is God, but to expect a person to be broken is against all of what the Bible tells.

Those in the Bible who had strong tempers never were criticize3d for that. Instead, Jesus affectionately called James and John the Sons of Thunder because they had such a strong temper. And can you imagine a weak and broken Peter?

Yes, Peter had to know his limitations. When he found out what he was capable of – denying his knowledge of God with a curse – he became aware of his need.

But he was never broken.

It is foolish to expect that we have to be busted, broken in spirit, people who have no pride, no will, no desire left in order to be useful to God.

Brokenhearted and broken are two different things. I have been brokenhearted many times, but I will never be broken.

And God never expected me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.