java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

a letter

Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead ,and Christ will give you light. (Ephesians 5:14)
I just got a letter from someone who wanted to share it with my church. He had a letter on the back encouraging me to reproduce the front as much as I wanted and to give it to as many people as I wanted to.

The interesting thing about it was that it was basically unsigned. It had a man’s name on the bottom one side, but no contact information except for the return address, and on the side to be copied, there was nothing at all. There was only a desire to tell people that there is a heaven and a hell.

Now I could be critical. And I often am with unsolicited letters. There were misspelled words, it was all in caps (something most people disregard as ranting) with brackets and underlining, it was KJV, a translation I do not use, it was very hard line.

All that is true. But – it was unsigned and someone sent out these letters on standard postage from Miami, FL. I guess they went to everybody, maybe just to Foursquare Churches. I don’t know.

But the point is, someone went to a lot of expense to mail out these letters evidently simply
because they cared. No attribution, no credit, just sent out to be copied.

What if we all cared little how much credit we got. What if we all did stuff without worrying about who was going to be benefited, if the only person we had in mind to benefit was Jesus.

I gave you a bunch of reasons above to not use it.

But I am including here in this blog. I do not have the money to send it out. And I don’t know that I would if I did. But at the same time, it deserves something better than just being trashed. When is the last time I did something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.