java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

daily java

Daily Java:
Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. (Colossians 3:12)
I love to buy my wife stuff. In fact I am the one that buys the stuff in the first place. If left to her, she would still dress like she did in 1974.

I do it because I love her and want her to look good. I am also a judicious shopper with an eye for bargains. Because of that, she has a closet full of good looking, stylish clothes.

Everything she owns fits her. I will not, I absolutely refuse to buy things that do not fit. In fact, we have a promise between us. I will tell her if what she is wearing looks bad. It is foolish to buy something that looks bad and that will make you look foolish.

I never could figure out how a guy can tell a woman that the shirt she has on looks good on her simply because she wants it to look good. He tells her that, she buys it, goes out in public wearing it and looks like an idiot, wearing some shirt that is too tight and makes her look fat.

If he had told her in the first place it was too tight or too short or whatever, she would have been a lot better off.

I guess it is because she wants it to look good and he is afraid of hurting her feelings. Unless, of course, he doesn’t really like her and just goes along, not caring what she looks like. So he goes with it and she looks foolish. And on top of it all, they wasted a pretty good amount of money. Decent clothing is expensive.

I, on the other hand, do not want my wife to look bad, nor do I want to waste money. So I am careful to tell her what looks good and what doesn’t.

That is essentially what God is doing with us when he chooses us to be his holy people. He clothes us with stuff that makes us look great.

When we accept the things he gives us, we look wonderful. We are well-dressed, everything fits just right, is the right color, everything is good.

When we don’t and try to force our own will on him, we look foolish. Nothing fits because it is not the tailor made clothing he has designed for us. It is cheap junk that looks dumb and feels worse.

If you take God into your heart and your life, you recognize that there is someone greater than you that is guiding your life and your choices.

I found out early that my wife doesn’t have a lot of fashion sense. It isn’t that she is dumb or anything like that, far from it. And I am not smarter than her. But she just doesn’t have a strong sense of what looks good on her and what doesn’t.

That is what I am there for. I am the objective observer. She has someone in her life that has a sharper eye, I guess you could say, to help her look good in what she does.

And on top of it all, I love her.

On top of everything else, God loves us. And he wants us to be the best we can be.

Since that is true, we wear the clothing he has made for us. And we look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.